In Chat #1:
In Old Chat #2:
  • What's cooking? 5 3
Currently:  

Tags (Stories Only Please!):

Author Topic: What's cooking?  (Read 34758 times)

Offline lysyn

• Queen Awesomesauce of Fucklandia
  • Rep: 945
Re: What's cooking?
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2015, 10:17:19 AM »
I made Eggs Benedict. Now, I'm not much of a cook, never have been. I can make a few things that are flat out phenomenal because I've made them so often it's rote. Chicken fried steak with milk gravy? I learned from a Texan and have that shit on point. Burritos? A very nice Mexican woman taught me her families tortilla recipe and I have it on lock down. Gumbo and jambalaya? The same Texan girl that taught me how to make chicken fried steak was once engaged to a Cajun man whose mama taught her all the trade secrets to Cajun and Creole cooking which she gladly showed me. (Mostly, Cajuns don't use tomatoes so much, and now you know the main difference between Cajun Gumbo and Creole jambalaya.)

That said, I've never met a French person in my life. Well, not quite, I've met a few but it's not like they really wanted to talk to the American girl, let alone show her how to cook something authentic. Now, I can poach an egg, and I can get the English muffins just right, but hollandaise sauce can kiss my fucking ass.

Oh I made it. After the third time is was even edible. Actually, by that point it was fucking perfect. But my arms haven't felt like this much jello in a long ass time. Next time I'm using a blender.

Here's the pain in the ass hollandaise sauce recipe I used.

http://ruhlman.com/2010/06/classic-hollandaise-sauce/

Bon appefuckingtit.

PS. I don't even like Eggs Benedict. I had plain old scrambled eggs with bacon. Mmmmm. S can make his own next time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:03:24 PM by lysyn »
So far I can't remember ever being wrong in a judgement of character of someone. Then again I tend to hold onto it until I get to know them a bit. Sometimes intuitively I know someone's a retard though.
~Someone with a bright future and great hair.

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Rep: 261
  • Cloaking Device Activated
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »
I made Eggs Benedict...

Here's the pain in the ass hollandaise sauce recipe I used. ..

Bon appefuckingtit...

...S can make his own next time.

Priceless. :coffeespew:

Bon appefuckingtit... Love it. Reminds me of the time my nephew read bon appetit as "bahn ape tit." Yes, I assured him. It refers to the famous chef, Baron Von Ape Tit. :D
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline EssenceofRed

• AKA: babyfuck
  • Rep: 753
  • Adorawhore
    • Essence of Red Tumblr Page
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 03:23:30 PM »
Having finally found a street market that sells live shellfish, fresh herbs and curry pastes, I really want to make a David Thompson recipe for mussel and mangosteen curry. Whether I can actually do this in an apartment where I'm technically not supposed to cook, and where there's no kitchen but only a plug-in electric pot, I very much doubt. But if Bear Grylls can grill bears over a flame he's kindled by focusing the rays of the sun with just his ego, I'm damned if I'm not going to give it a shot.

*ahem* I'm still waiting to hear the results of this... [REDACTED]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:12:46 PM by Addie »
The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »
It's already cooked, actually.

Two sausage patties (links are second rate, IMHO)
Two pieces of whole grain wheat, flax and sunflower seed toast with butter
And a big fluffy omelet with two cheeses and curried mushrooms

Pictures? Nah. It was gone too fast for the camera to even catch.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Addie

• Mistress Almighty Goddess, Gloria In Extremis
  • Rep: 809
    • RapeCage
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2015, 02:17:58 PM »
I made Eggs Benedict. Now, I'm not much of a cook, never have been. I can make a few things that are flat out phenomenal because I've made them so often it's rote. Chicken fried steak with milk gravy? I learned from a Texan and have that shit on point. Burritos? A very nice Mexican woman taught me her families tortilla recipe and I have it on lock down. Gumbo and jambalaya? The same Texan girl that taught me how to make chicken fried steak was once engaged to a Cajun man whose mama taught her all the trade secrets to Cajun and Creole cooking which she gladly showed me. (Mostly, Cajuns don't use tomatoes so much, and now you know the main difference between Cajun Gumbo and Creole jambalaya.)

@lysyn , I have lived in the South and still can't cook good southern (which isn't a bad thing since it's calorie-laden stuff and I gain weight easily). All the same, would you please post your recipes for the stuff above? I really want to at least have the option to try to cook chicken fried steak and gumbo and jambalaya once a year. :D :hungry:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 02:26:43 PM by Addie »

Offline Addie

• RapeCage
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2015, 02:51:15 PM »
Thanks, @REDACTED !

Offline EssenceofRed

• Adorawhore
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
My first all organic and vegan Spinach Dip, and it's shockingly amazing! I think I like it even more than all other spinach dips I've ever tried!!

The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Offline EssenceofRed

• Adorawhore
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »
^ Huh. Note to self: when uploading via phone,  the picture goes sideways. Weird. I'll fix that later.

Here's the recipe, although I admit until I tried it when a friend brought it to a party, I would have steered clear.

Creamy Vegan Spinach Dip

1 package frozen spinach, thawed. Drain as much water out as possible. This is the hardest part of the recipe. I used a cheese cloth.

One, 12 oz Toffuti sour cream - looks like sour cream, and I guess if I couldn't have dairy, it would do.

Equal amount of vegenaise original mayo. Just full up the empty sour cream container. Note: The side of the container says "Better than mayo!"... and it might be right! I like it a lot! :thumbs:

One packet dry spinach dip mix (or dry soup mix, or dry onion soup), but I used an organic spinach dip and that's what my friend used.

One small can of sliced water chestnuts, then chop them up.

Mix it all up and voila! Yum. Enjoy!

EDIT: Tastes best with pita chips and carrots, not pretzels or snow pea pods. I would imagine there are other things that taste good with it, but these are my findings so far.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:31:45 AM by EssenceofRed »

Offline Jokol

• Rep: 8
  • n00b
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2015, 07:56:27 PM »
For today: beans and ham plus some fruit... it's hot nowadays!

Offline Addie

• RapeCage
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2015, 09:39:21 PM »
Thank you for posting that recipe, Red! I've wanted a good spinach dip recipe for forever now!  :thumbs:

Offline EssenceofRed

• Adorawhore
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2015, 09:45:30 PM »
Thank you for posting that recipe, Red! I've wanted a good spinach dip recipe for forever now!  :thumbs:

It makes a HUGE amount and it was almost all gone by the time I left today! And my family isn't even vegan!

Offline lysyn

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 03:57:08 AM »

@lysyn , I have lived in the South and still can't cook good southern (which isn't a bad thing since it's calorie-laden stuff and I gain weight easily). All the same, would you please post your recipes for the stuff above? I really want to at least have the option to try to cook chicken fried steak and gumbo and jambalaya once a year. :D :hungry:

Chicken fried steak is messy, and I go by feel, I don't actually measure shit but I looked until I found a recipe that said to me "that sounds about right" and I will copy paste it here but add or subtract a couple minor differences

Ingredients
Chicken Fried Steak:
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon paprika-------------------> never tried it with paprika personally
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper----------> or cayenne pepper
3 pounds cube steak (tenderized round steak that's been extra tenderized)
Kosher salt-------------------------------> kosher smosher, use what you want.
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
Gravy:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 to 4 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Mashed potatoes, for serving
Directions

For the steak: Begin with setting up an assembly line of dishes. Mix the milk (---I've never done this, I've always just used beaten eggs---) with the eggs in one; the flour mixed with the seasoned salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, paprika and cayenne in another; and the meat in a third. Then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.

Work with one piece of meat at a time. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and black pepper, then place it in the flour mixture. Turn to coat. Place the meat into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Finally, place it back in the flour and turn to coat (dry mixture/wet mixture/dry mixture). Place the breaded meat on the clean plate, then repeat with the remaining meat.
---Nope.--- my way vvv
Dip meat in beaten egg mix then dunk in the flour then set aside, keep doing that until you're all out of cube steak. You can also sprinkle more flour mix on the cooking meat if you like it extra breading.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter. Drop in a few sprinkles of flour to make sure it's sufficiently hot. When the butter sizzles immediately, you know it's ready. It should not brown right away, if it does, the fire is too hot. Cook the meat, 3 pieces at a time, until the edges start to look golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. (---You'll also be able to feel the texture of the meat going from raw to cooked when you stab it with your fork so you'll know by feel it's cooked through---) Remove the meat to a paper towel-lined plate and keep them warm by covering lightly with another plate or a sheet of foil. Repeat until all the meat is cooked.

After all the meat is fried, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the skillet, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup of the grease back to the skillet and allow it to heat up.

--- I never use anything I can't use metal implements in, so cast iron or stainless steel is my preference for skillets, just sayin' and I also just use a fork. Why use a whisk? Also I never add back grease, I just don't pour all of it out. But you don't need much! (The first time I did this, I used all the grease and used so much flour and milk to counteract it I had enough gravy to last a fucking year.)---

For the gravy: When the grease is hot, sprinkle the flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk fork, mix the flour with the grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Add more flour if it looks overly greasy; add a little more grease if it becomes too pasty/clumpy. Keep cooking until the roux reaches a deep golden brown color.

Pour in the milk, whisking (forking? Sounds wrong.) constantly. Add the seasoned salt and black pepper to taste and cook, mixing, until the gravy is smooth and thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.

Serve the meat next to a big side of mashed potatoes. Pour gravy over the whole shebang!

2011 Ree Drummond, All Rights Reserved

Touched up by yours truly.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/chicken-fried-steak-with-gravy-recipe.html?oc=linkback
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:43:10 AM by lysyn »
So far I can't remember ever being wrong in a judgement of character of someone. Then again I tend to hold onto it until I get to know them a bit. Sometimes intuitively I know someone's a retard though.

Offline RayPistonprowl

• Testosterone ridden penis wielder
  • Rep: 658
  • Cockwagging hornbucket
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
Lysyn that sounds deadly, therefore probably delicious. *arteries clogging*
You haven't lived until you've received a teabagging from the prince of darkness. -IndieGuy
I very often rape people with my corkscew duck penis and murder them by squishing them in an amplexus ball with all my guy friends. -Ingenue
Maybe there is a god. Maybe there are 2,000 gods. Maybe one of them has like 18 tits and five cocks. The only thing I ask is that it all just stays off my lawn. -Dark Places
A good cup of tea lies between He-Man and Donald Trump in colour. -the_silkman

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
...And my family isn't even vegan!

Yeah. Mine's made of meat as well...  :shocked:
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline lysyn

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
Lysyn that sounds deadly, therefore probably delicious. *arteries clogging*

Which is precisely why we don't eat it often. Maybe twice a year.

Offsite Contacts Email Admins (Offsite) Admins Addie RayPistonprowl Global Moderators Ingenue Red Right Hand Moderators Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage Smirkin darkfantasygirl