In Chat #1:
In Old Chat #2:

Tags (Stories Only Please!):

Author Topic: Where do you find resources for story elements that need research?  (Read 74 times)

Offline Kuriosity

• Rep: 60
  • n00b
I'm asking because personally I'm having trouble finding a nice, clear writer's guide to internet and technology security. I know some of the basic buzz words, but I'd love a guide on how to actually describe a put-together security system for, say, a sensitive database of slavers! How does it work? How would it be hacked? I've tried googling things but it keeps bringing up jargon I don't understand rather than layman's terms.

I wonder this for other things, too. For example, what kind of bullets would do what kind of damage, and where, and how quickly would one bleed out from different wound locations? How does the 'black market' work and what does it sell? How do big facilities like hospitals and boarding schools get their necessary essentials like food, cleaning supplies, clothes? I seem to remember seeing some neat resources on a Tumblr page once, a bunch of links altogether, but I can't seem to find it again. Anyone have something similar as their go-to?

Online RayPistonprowl

• Testosterone ridden penis wielder
  • Rep: 692
  • Cockwagging hornbucket
Re: Where do you find resources for story elements that need research?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »
Honestly, @Kuriosity , you're ultimately writing pr0n and most of us perverts won't care about technical details. I would glaze over writing about security systems, so I tend to stick to what I know, or things that are easily researched over the Internet (and within my intellectual grasp ffs).
I always wanted to be the green girl that looked pleasantly tousled leaving Captain Kirk's quarters in between acts. Except, unlike most of them I want to not tragically die. -Anguissette
I spent some time in Japan...and just kind of asked "WHY?!" a LOT. -IrishGirl
A good cup of tea lies between He-Man and Donald Trump in colour. -the_silkman
"As fuck" is my favorite unit of measurement. -lysyn

Offline Kuriosity

• n00b
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »
But Ray, what about THE IMMERSION!? Surely no man can get a hard on if there's a minor inconsistency in the plotline!  :laughgrin:

Yeah, that's a fair point. I don't want to get too bogged down in details, really, I just want to make sure I don't write anything that's completely unrealistic and stupid. I don't care so much for short stories but for my main project, Julia, I guess I'm a bit more protective. I'm trying to write about something rather out of my depth and it worries me. At this stage I'm just hoping I can pull out the right buzzwords and get away with it.  :laugh2:

Offline darkfantasygirl

• piss-pot in training
  • Rep: 170
  • WottenWandoms pwetty fuck doll
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:00:25 PM »
Well, I don't really have a lot of answers for much of this at all. I can only tell you a bit about the 'black market' and my experiences with it.

So, basically, the 'black market' is just a term for describing the sale of items that are not taxed by any local or foriegn governments. And I know that's not as exciting as the term 'black market' implies but that's the truth.

So any black market dealings you have can be written out in your terms. In some guys living room or in a basement or some large storage compound, depending on what your 'dealers' are selling and how "hot" the items they are trying to move are. (By "hot" I mean if the police are looking for them, or not. It's usually illegal items but doesn't exactly have to be)

I hope that sheds a little bit of light on that subject, anyway. :*
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:04:43 PM by darkfantasygirl »

Offline randomgirl

• Rep: 519
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »

So, basically, the 'black market' is just a term for describing the sale of items that are not taxed by any local or foriegn governments. And I know that's not as exciting as the term 'black market' implies but that's the truth.

Pfft you know nothing. Black market is generally very dark (no lights you see). People speak in sinuster whispers, never bathe, and hang around with dark creatures of the night. Case in point: knocturn alley. Shady shops With creepy hand thingies that won't let go of your hand? :giggle:

Offline darkfantasygirl

• piss-pot in training
  • Rep: 170
  • WottenWandoms pwetty fuck doll
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 05:57:27 PM »

Pfft you know nothing. Black market is generally very dark (no lights you see). People speak in sinuster whispers, never bathe, and hang around with dark creatures of the night. Case in point: knocturn alley. Shady shops With creepy hand thingies that won't let go of your hand? :giggle:

Actual picture of the Black Market:

Offline Kuriosity

• n00b
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 04:58:13 AM »

This guy was my Black Market associate once upon a time. Oh, Shady Sam, you were so good for lockpicks when I was so bad at using them.

Anyway, it makes me wonder then how the actual trade of restricted goods must go on across the world - arms dealing, large amounts of drugs, things like that. I thought those fell under the 'Black Market', but the definition is apparently a lot less sinister than I thought!  :laugh2: I might just have to do what I can with Google and bullshitting my way through.

Offline Eigniu

• Rep: 41
  • Céasadh
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »
Come now, @RayPistonprowl. Just because we're writing smut, that's no good reason to no write the best goddamn smut the internet has ever seen. :evillaugh:

In reply, though @Kuriosity: honestly, for this writing, I rely a lot on wikipedia and my imagination. I have a group of friends and resources I lean on for other stuff, but, uh...  :uhoh: Maybe not for these particular stories.

Offsite Contacts Email Admins (Offsite) Admins Addie RayPistonprowl Global Moderators Ingenue Red Right Hand Moderators Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage Smirkin darkfantasygirl