In Chat Now:

Author Topic: From my NaNoWriMo WIP  (Read 1659 times)

Offline caughtbymoonlight

• Wordslut of wordsluts.
  • Writer
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 241
  • "It was supposed to go KABOOM!"-Marvin the Martian
From my NaNoWriMo WIP
« on: November 12, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
Here Be Monsters

Perch, Arizona, pop. 37. Three more just arrived, but they won't contribute to rounding out the number of inhabitants. Two of them look like the classic red cartoon devil, complete with pitchforks, horns and a sneer on each face. What would be even more eye-catching was the height of each devil, around eight feet not counting the horns. The third shifted between a small fire-breathing dragon and a leper with weeping sores. Liquid dropped from the sores and created small puddles in the middle of the street down which the group walked. From the puddles launched clouds of stinging flies.

Few people were out and about in downtown Perch; it was, after all, a cold day, if sunny. A matronly woman stepped out of the tiny store forming a part of the gas-station/mini-mart at the center of downtown Perch. Her side-vision caught the trio and her head whipped around to verify the sight. A sound like "auchck" leaped out of her mouth and at once became corporeal and scuttled away on two mismatched legs towards the monsters. The mini-mart manager launched himself out of the store to see what was happening; his heart suffered from an overload of adrenalin and stopped after several wild, mismatched beats. The woman had dropped to her knees and was reciting every prayer she knew, in English and Navajo and the two jumbled together. Flies clustered on her and stung, stung, stung, interrupting the flow of the words; turning many into nonsense.

The leper drew close to her, leaned over and said slowly, "The time is here, daughter. Pray. Keep praying. We will help you. And you will help us find your family, and they can pray too. Find the non-believers and show them that we come to help. For this is the last of the earth; our reign begins. And it is time for all to pray to the God who created this world. Will you help us?"

The woman had, sometime during this speech, lost her reason, not unreasonably. But the words of childhood prayers tumbled from her lips. Some of them took the shape of large beetles that joined the stinging flies. The tall red devils had continued down the street and a few other town inhabitants joined them on their walk through the center of Perch. The prayers began to fall from their lips as well. The beetles attached themselves to a few young men, forming extra appendages in the crotch of their pants. One man began singing a hymn, off-key and with the wrong words. Nevertheless it celebrated the end of earth, and the coming of those others, and they liked it fine.

The Perchers (as the townspeople had once referred to themselves) began coming into the town, until at last all 37 could hear the sound of the flies buzzing and the strangely mangled prayers falling from the lips of their friends. They aimed for the building crowd around the new arrivals, forming a chaotic parade. The devils produced small pipes and began to play dissonances. People danced and raised incoherent shouts to the heavens, inviting angels to join them or smite them.

As the building procession reached the far end of town, the last entirely human member of the Perch community began to sprout wings like those of the dragon and weeping sores to match the lepers as it shifted from form to form. It flapped the wings weakly for a moment, then again until it gained strength and the power to lift its form off the earth. It flew toward the matronly woman, whose lips still dropped malformed prayer syllables, some corporeal and fast moving, scuttling on hundreds of legs. "Mother! I am become the Harbinger, and I bring the message of sorrow and despair to others. This is the end told of long ago, and humanity shall weep for what it is becoming and where it shall travel. The Age of the Tempter is here, and hell shall overflow and become prime upon the earth. At last!" And then it dipped down its maw, filled with a low fire, and bit heavily down on her neck, separating her head from it. Dragons require fuel to fly and let loose their fire, and there is none better than  a parent, or so some believe. From the remains of the neck and chest, however, many mouths sprang open. All at once they took up the sounds of the mangled prayers and let loose more of the corporeal evidence of those prayers.

From Perch the dragon flew leisurely, burning the desert and dripping pestilence, turning what lived in the desert into wrecked and twisted versions of itself. The cactus wrenched itself from the ground, found other spiny plants and became menacing harbingers of needled death. Small mammals, birds, insects grew into nightmare conglomerations and followed the path of the dragon slowly, forming new and terrible shapes, many limbs and dripping poison.

It took the hellish procession twelve hours to reach the next town, Lender Mountain.

(yeah, I wonder where this comes from too...)
"When life sucks, point it at the dick of someone you hate." - unknown

Offline Mr Nice Guy

• Smiling predator
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 180
  • Exploring
Re: From my NaNoWriMo WIP
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 04:29:45 PM »
It's the end of the world as we know it.

(I feel fine...)

I love the almost medieval imagery...look forward to the next instalment!

• Wordslut of wordsluts.
  • Writer
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:01:29 AM »
I don't know if there will be a next installment for this...it just struck me as almost improbably weird which sort of baffles me. Glad you liked it though! :D

Offline Ingenue

• Goddess Mistwess Puplord of Hope
  • Global Moderator
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 1419
  • Getting raeped by Real Life in non-fun ways
    • Ingy's currently idle Tumblr feat. petgirls, jesters, ponies
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
It's beautiful in a terrible way. Biblical, if that isn't an insult. I would honestly read this book, albeit through my safety fingers.

Smirkin dances around acid with wings made from Derick's scales "Rawr"
which I believe is about how because he won't take the lead in their relationship, she wants to bugger him with her strap-on ~kittyumbrass
I don’t think I’m entirely surprised how your mind works. ~Shocker to kittyumbrass

• Wordslut of wordsluts.
  • Writer
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »
Biblical is fine, actually. I'm in that "second week low spot" that they talk about at NaNo, which made me think seriously about what influences and inspirations I have and there is definitely a bit of Dante here. The Inferno tends to color a lot of what I write. Maybe the idea of something as orderly and chaotic at the same time as his Hell? I have no idea.

Thank you for saying you'd read the book! If it gets that far, I will see that you get an autographed copy. And some nice gloves for the safety fingers. :D

Offsite Contact

Email Us Off-Site

Admins

Addie RayPistonprowl

Global Moderators

Ingenue Red Right Hand Smirkin

Moderators

Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage darkfantasygirl archon1980