In Chat #1:
In Old Chat #2:

Tags (Stories Only Please!):

Author Topic: "Can You Really Be Fired for Being Kinky? Absolutely."  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Addie

• Mistress Almighty Goddess, Gloria In Extremis
  • Rep: 801
    • RapeCage
"Can You Really Be Fired for Being Kinky? Absolutely."
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »
Interesting article which points out at least the Canadian and American legal positions on whether you can be fired if your employer discovers you're kinky:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/10/28/the_jian_ghomeshi_case_echoes_many_kinksters_worst_fears_being_outed_and.html

(The answer is overwhelmingly yes, they can fire you. Something to think about! I recommend being very careful with whom you share your kinks, especially if you have a rape fantasy kink!)

Offline Mr Nice Guy

• Smiling predator
  • Rep: 166
  • Exploring
Re: "Can You Really Be Fired for Being Kinky? Absolutely."
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 01:18:12 AM »
It's a surprising stance given the value judgements involved in defining 'decency'. Historically gay relationships, interracial relationships, even sex outside of marriage have all been seen as 'indecent' (all sex is indecent if you do it right!) I wonder if in time this prejudice will be overturned too.

Offline Punpun

• Rep: 138
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »
Jian was not a kinkster, he was a legit rapist. Speaking as someone raised in and around the Canadian entertainment industry, I can tell you that it was an open secret that if you were a young woman, you were to stay away from him. No one liked him, no one condoned of what he did, but he had clout and no one spoke up, so he was able to keep on doing what he was doing. He is going to be found guilty in a court of law for his actions. MANY women were raped by him. It's tragic.

Offline Carlosdevil

• Your evil angel
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »
Most rape fantasists won't ever rape anyone in their lifetimes. However, if it gets out that you have those sorts of fantasies, you can lose your job for it even though you haven't been accused of anything other than having the fantasy. The issue is that the female employees "don't feel safe around you." Just having you on the payroll constitutes a hostile working environment and technically the employer can get sued.

At least, that's how it was explained to me.
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late" The Mekons

Offline RayPistonprowl

• Testosterone ridden penis wielder
  • Rep: 582
  • Cockwagging hornbucket
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »
Re: Canadian entertainer Jian Ghomeshi, I would encourage Pun and anyone else who has inside knowledge to contact appropriate authorities and aid in ensuring he gets convicted. Otherwise take care using inside knowledge to publicly condemn public figures before they're convicted, as they've often got deep pockets and will happily sue you into a permanent injunction. (It happened to a friend of mine, so I know whereof I speak. And if they subpoena your IP address, we must comply with the law. There's a reason the author of that article was careful not to directly say he's a rapist, even though she was simply reporting second-hand on someone else's content!)

And it's absurd that you can be fired just because some people "feel uncomfortable" around you, but it's still totally legal most places. If asked directly, deny deny deny. And take care with exposing this info to any colleagues you may date. This fetish is simply too easily misunderstood by vanillas (and even other kinksters.)
One of the sales clerks turned out to be a pegasister. She noticed me buying ponies and started nattering about which ones she had and we both agreed Luna is best princess and then we brohoofed. -Trill
The rape and abuse is a feature, not a bug. -the savage
I need your body. Alive would suffice. -Ingenue, to me
Fucking Fuck Bollocking Piss Flap Beef Curtain Cheesy Knob Head Cunting Dog shit... -wetslut
Ever take a shit that felt like a car crash? -Conrad

Offline death2uall

• Rep: 65
  • Rider of the Pale Horse
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
The sad fact is that one can not only be fired for being kinky, one can be denied housing or even access to one's children. I read of a relatively recent California divorce case in which the wife had her child taken away from her for being involved in the BDSM lifestyle, despite the fact that the judge acknowledged that her child was not in danger OR EVEN AWARE IN ANY WAY OF HER KINK.

And let's note, here, that this was simply a matter of BDSM and not its relatively darker cousin, rape fantasy.

Just some food for thought.
"I want to breed with you because our children would have the intelligence of Stephen Hawking, the stamina of young werewolves, the conscience of a komodo dragon, and the forgiving, pacific nature of Genghis Khan". -death2uall, to Ingenue

“For a people who invented absinthe and blowjobs, sometimes the French can be a drag.”  --Richard Kadrey, Aloha from Hell

“She is starting to damage my calm!”  -- Jayne, Serenity

Offsite Contacts Email Admins (Offsite) Admins Addie RayPistonprowl Global Moderators Ingenue Red Right Hand Moderators Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage Smirkin