In Chat #1:
In Old Chat #2:

Tags (Stories Only Please!):

Author Topic: Who has writer's block?  (Read 5151 times)

Offline death2uall

• Rep: 84
  • Rider of the Pale Horse
Re: Who has writer's block?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 12:31:04 AM »
"I want to breed with you because our children would have the intelligence of Stephen Hawking, the stamina of young werewolves, the conscience of komodo dragons, and the forgiving, pacific nature of Genghis Khan". -death2uall, to Ingenue

“For a people who invented absinthe and blowjobs, sometimes the French can be a drag.”  --Richard Kadrey, Aloha from Hell

“She is starting to damage my calm!”  -- Jayne, Serenity

Offline iceman044

• Rep: 1
  • n00b
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 12:12:04 AM »
I had writers block for years. What worked for me was in my english class our teacher would give us an item and we had 1 minute to write about it. That opened up alot of repressed creative juices. You just wrote whatever came to mind. One item he showed us gave me an idea on a horror movie and it was awesome. It got my creative juices going and that night I had a nightmare and then the next day I took about 2 hours and wrote like a 20ish page horror story about the item.

Offline FrodoKreuger

• Morally Ambiguous Mastermind
  • Rep: 177
  • Being the best me I can because she deserves it
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
I've been writing for 40+ years now, and I've come to the conclusion that, with very few, very limited exceptions, "writer's block" is doubletalk for either, "I'm too fucking lazy to put the effort into it" or "I'd like to write, but I'm afraid of how people will react, or scared of the process."

Writers write. That's all there is to it. Dilettantes get writer's block. Robert Heinlein wrote every day of his professional career, from the time he started publishing in the 1930s until the day he died. That doesn't mean he never took a day off, however; it means that when he was writing, he WROTE. Every day, whether it saw publication or not.

No ideas? Sit in front of a keyboard and write until you come up with one, or talk to one or more of the perverts here or elsewhere until you hear or come up with an idea you like, and then write about that. Having trouble with a piece of story? Write your way through it, or work on something else until your subconscious comes up with a solution. Too many ideas? There is no such thing. Learn to take notes, and write a damn story.   ;)  Blank page phobia? See my comment above on "scared of the process."

I honestly hadn't written more than two consecutive paragraphs in a row (or, for that matter, in a week) for over six months until last night. Then I decided I was going to write, dammit, and I pumped out 8 1/2 pages between 11:00 PM and 9:00 AM, on a story I hadn't even looked at in over a year. The reason I "could" do that is that I DECIDED to do it, not because I "overcame writer's block" or any other self-defeating silliness.

Wow. Harsh.

I'd have said "empowering" not "harsh" bug I suppose it depends how you take it. If you hear "it's your fault you're not writing" then sure, it's harsh. If you hear "You are in control of this process. Stripped bare, you can choose to write or not" then more empowerment than anything. It is a choice, we each get to make it. Every minute, every hour, every day. You decide what to do. Of course, if you sit and write then what you write might be no good thus time, but you're still practicing the skill of writing and not training your mind yo be uncreative. Then again, if you hear "it's your choice, so stop whining and just do it" then it might also seem harsh. I don't happen to give a toss whether someone on the internet I'm not even close to thinks I should be writing or not though so again, it comes across as "You get to choose. What you choose is entirely up to you." Yeah, that's more empowerment.

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Rep: 261
  • Cloaking Device Activated
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline EssenceofRed

• AKA: babyfuck
  • Rep: 753
  • Adorawhore
    • Essence of Red Tumblr Page
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 10:46:08 PM »
Maybe this will help?  :bateyes:

http://www.rapecage.com/forum/index.php/board,37.0.html

So I was suppose to be grading tonight. Lots and lots of grading. Instead I started the first 1,000 words of my Abduction/Underworld/Betrayal story. It's a very rough first draft of the first half (give or take). But it's a miracle! The juices are a flowin' again.... although we'll see if I still feel the same when I come back to it later this week. Lol
The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Rep: 261
  • Cloaking Device Activated
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 12:36:38 AM »
I've made a beginning... About 500 words. I edit as I go with lots of back tracking. And a clear mental outline of the end...

I suppose I'll have to put a middle in it somewhere.  :whistle:
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline RayPistonprowl

• Testosterone ridden penis wielder
  • Rep: 658
  • Cockwagging hornbucket
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 04:50:58 PM »
I've not yet begun but I have THOUGHT about it. Which is a great deal further than I've gotten before. Baby steps.
You haven't lived until you've received a teabagging from the prince of darkness. -IndieGuy
I very often rape people with my corkscrew duck penis and murder them by squishing them in an amplexus ball with all my guy friends. -Ingenue
Maybe there is a god. Maybe there are 2,000 gods. Maybe one of them has like 18 tits and five cocks. The only thing I ask is that it all just stays off my lawn. -Dark Places
A good cup of tea lies between He-Man and Donald Trump in colour. -the_silkman

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Putzmeister - my wife picked the title :(
  • Rep: 59
  • The above is a real picture of myself.
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
I had a bit of writer's block a couple months ago. Not in general, but about the particular story I was working on at the time. I applied the cure: write, and write more, even if it's drek. And drek was what I kept getting.

I finally concluded it wasn't writer's block. It was writer's trying to make a long and detailed story with nothing more than a general setting and a perceived mood. I wasn't blocked, I simply didn't know what I wanted from it. One chapter survived intact as a stand-alone story. The other two, which I re-wrote two or three times each, were go-nowhere exercises in pointless imagery. I got rid of them rather than have them pollute my efforts the next time I try that tale.

Hmm, I should post that surviving story here. I don't think it violates any of the rules.
Yesterday I stopped a woman from being brutally raped. Turned out I was able to talk her into it after all.

Offline Kuriosity

• Rep: 54
  • n00b
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2017, 04:53:50 PM »
Argh, I do. Working on Julia a few sentences at a time, but I get intimidated thinking about the bigness of what I want to write and the details I'm bound to get wrong. I have a general idea of where I want to go, but it's taking time. Frustrating. I need my writing 'whipped' into shape.  :whip:

Offline The Sickness

• Rep: 2
  • n00b
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 02:05:20 AM »
I just started on a story where a young girl gets accused of shoplifting and gets blackmailed.  But I'm stuck on what to do next after the first meeting between the young girl and the loss prevention managers.

Offline EssenceofRed

• AKA: babyfuck
  • Rep: 753
  • Adorawhore
    • Essence of Red Tumblr Page
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »
My new problem isn't so much an issue of writer's block, but rather, the time to do it. Summer is suppose to be relaxing for me, but instead I'm stressed to the limit with too many things on my plate. I have the outlines on two current chapter stories without the time to write. For now, short spurt replies to RPs (via RC and private message) is about all I can handle. Hopefully I can do more sooner than later.
The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Offsite Contacts Email Admins (Offsite) Admins Addie RayPistonprowl Global Moderators Ingenue Red Right Hand Moderators Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage Smirkin darkfantasygirl