In Chat #1:
In Old Chat #2:

Description:

Tags:

Author Topic: Board Software  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Addie

• Mistress Almighty Goddess, Gloria In Extremis
  • Rep: 823
    • RapeCage
Board Software
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:57:49 AM »
Well, it's been fun learning how to run SMF, but until I learn how to program with PHP better I may be better off upgrading to vBulletin. That's about $249, and there's a chat room program (http://prochatrooms.com/demo.php) that might be good too, and that's $49. I think that will be easier for a novice like me to run, and it will integrate more easily. If Ray approves it (and I can't imagine he won't) then I'll begin development on that and notify everyone when they can move over. Dangit, Ray jumped the gun and got you guys all excited too soon! Have fun here in the meantime!

[UPDATE: I found a mod that was able to work with SMF to put in a description line. If this suffices, I don't see any huge need for us to upgrade. So panic averted. For now. The problem is that while SMF keeps their board software up to date, the programmers who make the free mods don't necessarily keep their versions up to date and compatible with SMF. So the question is: Do we want to upgrade to now, or wait till shit falls apart? I'm willing to wing it on SMF if you guys are.]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:44:16 AM by Admin »

Offline fallen saint

• contemplating life's existence in solitude
  • Rep: 20
  • Our love is god, let's go get a slushie
Re: Board Software
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 01:14:48 AM »
I know we talked about this in the shoutbox, but I thought I would post so others can see the conversation.  If a switch occurs, are all the posts that are here lost? will you have to move them?  will we have to re-create them?  Just thoughts.  I know Ray jumped the gun, and we jumped the gun, but it's like a family reunion.  Well, okay, a very sick and twisted family reunion as we all rushed here.  But so far, most things seem good.  I don't know if you are having other issues with other things or not, but I just ask that everything is truly weighed before a program switch.  That's my .02.
Everywhere I look you're all I see.
Just a fading fucking reminder of who I used to be.

"Sunshine is dangerous;  Sugar can be poison
And love, well that's obvious;  Beware of too mouch happiness"

Offline Addie

• RapeCage
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:38:52 AM »
[Ignore what's below. I updated the first post.]

I know we talked about this in the shoutbox, but I thought I would post so others can see the conversation.  If a switch occurs, are all the posts that are here lost? will you have to move them?  will we have to re-create them?  Just thoughts.  I know Ray jumped the gun, and we jumped the gun, but it's like a family reunion.  Well, okay, a very sick and twisted family reunion as we all rushed here.  But so far, most things seem good.  I don't know if you are having other issues with other things or not, but I just ask that everything is truly weighed before a program switch.  That's my .02.

Here's the thing with SMF. It was very popular for a while, but its popularity is waning, which means the programmers who keep it up to date may keep the program itself up to date, but with each upgrade different mods (modifications, which do all the really cool stuff) become obsolete, and fewer and fewer programmers are updating or building new mods. If you guys want your stories to get read by a wider audience, I agree that there needs to be a story summary section as well as a way to put in story codes so visitors can find what they're looking for.

RD was built on vBulletin. I presume you all liked that format? I can't see archives of the actual message board at archive.org (I could only see the main front page) so I don't know what all I need to replicate, but I think I can figure out what stuff will be most relevant. I have to plan ahead in case this place grows. It will REALLY suck if I decide a year from now to make the change and then can't migrate the entire database! Do you guys agree it would be better to pick a permanent software now?

-Addie

PS I'm such a dork. To answer the actual question you asked (hurrrrr!), I don't know how much of the database I'll be able to migrate. I might make a trainwreck of the migration. If only Ray trusted smarter people! Maybe he'll let me subcontract a whiz kid ...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:45:35 AM by Admin »

Offline Hoselvr

• Rep: 25
  • Pantyhose Rapist
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »
I don't think the posts on SMF here will "transfer" over to vBulletin at least not with the older version I'm used to dealing with. That said, if we are going to make the switch to vBulletin (I like it better anyway), then the sooner the better before this board grows much larger.
"Don't know where we're going but it's no use being late." ~ Matthew Quigley

Offline Ingenue

• Pupstart
  • Rep: 1269
  • Not seeking new RPs just now.
    • Ingy's currently idle Tumblr feat. petgirls, jesters, ponies
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 07:08:44 PM »
This guide makes it sound relatively straightforward but I don't know how up-to-date it is.
she thought really hard about biting them so hard they would almost feel it, and they ran away because scawypet is scawy. ~kittyumbrass
You savage ~the savage
When Ingy stares at me with large moist eyes I just raep her. ~RayPistonprowl
I just squeed so hard I farted ~RayPistonprowl

Likes and limits on my profile!

Offline steg

• Tears or Blood. You pick the lube
  • Rep: 51
  • One Man Bukkake Gang
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 05:23:40 AM »
Would an upgrade to vBulletin also allow for walls a la RD? Mine was a thing of beauty and I enjoyed urinating on Ingy's.

Offline Ingenue

• Pupstart
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 08:05:39 AM »
I did love the walls on RD. They're essentially similar to the profile comments on SMF except they also permitted you to view the wall conversation between two members in full. The byplay between Rayray and Steggyhun was a thing of beauty. Savage and I seemed to amuse people with our back-and-forths too...
she thought really hard about biting them so hard they would almost feel it, and they ran away because scawypet is scawy. ~kittyumbrass
You savage ~the savage

Offline FrodoKreuger

• Morally Ambiguous Mastermind
  • Rep: 189
  • Being the best me I can because she deserves it
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »
Yes, seeing the conversation as a whole would be useful as an option.

Offline Hoselvr

• Rep: 25
  • Pantyhose Rapist
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »
Would an upgrade to vBulletin also allow for walls a la RD? Mine was a thing of beauty and I enjoyed urinating on Ingy's.

And drunk posting to half the population on RD. I had to employ Ingy's translation skills several times to tell what crap you were spewing. Definitely like the idea of having that type of wall on my profile.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:46:08 AM by Hoselvr »
"Don't know where we're going but it's no use being late." ~ Matthew Quigley

Offline lysyn

• Queen Awesomesauce of Fucklandia
  • Rep: 990
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »
The only thing I ever really liked about simple machines platform is the shoutbox, otherwise I've always preferred vBulletin as my personal preference. But I'm not funding this shindig so I'm quite content either way and just happy to see all you bawbags again.
So far I can't remember ever being wrong in a judgement of character of someone. Then again I tend to hold onto it until I get to know them a bit. Sometimes intuitively I know someone's a retard though.
~Someone with a bright future and great hair.

Offline RayPistonprowl

• Testosterone ridden penis wielder
  • Rep: 828
  • Cockwagging hornbucket
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 06:30:32 PM »
I'm not opposed to paying for vBulletin. I want to keep a chat or shoutbox of some sort so maybe some better stuff will be compatible. Maybe Addie can put it to a vote. I don't know how to do that yet.

I think a tuba or a french horn to the ass would feel A-maaaaazing!! -darkfantasygirl
If I ever have a punk band with just two members, I'm calling it "Anal Pear". -kittyumbrass
Nature abhors a vacuum, so if you present us with a hole we're going to try to fill it. For nature's sake. -SoftGameHunter
"Piers Morgan's being a cunt about something agai- Ah, for fuck sake, Piers Morgan's being a Crunchy Nut Corn Flake about something again" -the_silkman
I will reach down your throat through your stomach into your urogenital tract and pull your DICK INSIDE OUT. -zero

Offline Ingenue

• Pupstart
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
penis
You savage ~the savage

Offline Addie

• RapeCage
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 01:33:52 AM »

Offline Mr Nice Guy

• Smiling predator
  • Rep: 172
  • Exploring
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 01:51:01 AM »
penis

I think that comes under 'Board Hardware'.....  :naughty:

Offline FrodoKreuger

• Morally Ambiguous Mastermind
  • Rep: 189
  • Being the best me I can because she deserves it
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 01:49:14 PM »
penis

I think that comes under 'Board Hardware'.....  :naughty:

Whereas bewbs would, hopefully, be "soft"ware?

Question, is there any way to post a YouTube video that starts at a specific point, like say 23 seconds in as an example? You can copy a YouTube link with that information, but if you post it with the YouTube tags so that it is an inserted video playable from this site, it always starts from the beginning. I am guessing this is because you have to strip out the "s" in https to make it work, since on other boards where you can embed a YouTube just with the URL and no tags (hence leaving it https) it works fine.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:53:01 PM by FrodoKreuger »

Offsite Contact

Email Us Off-Site

Admins

Addie RayPistonprowl

Global Admins

Ingenue Red Right Hand

Moderators

Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage Smirkin darkfantasygirl