In Chat Now:
  • New homebrew system to try out! 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: New homebrew system to try out!  (Read 2232 times)

Online kittyumbrass

• Winning Author
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 769
    • Ms Umbrass Denies...
New homebrew system to try out!
« on: August 27, 2020, 09:47:39 PM »
I've cooked up a fairly simple, rules-light TTRPG system that I'd like to try on some people here. Sign up below if you're interested!

The basic set-up to start the scenario is that you are all passengers on a sailing ship headed for the city of Barbol, capital of the Barbolish Federation. You can make up your own minds why you might be going there, but it is a large empire and many opportunities or causes might lead you to this place.

All tests are by rolling 1d12. For a particularly hard action, you may need to succeed on more than one test, and an extremely hard action might need 3 or even 4 successes - which will be on different scales.

Character creation is very simple:

Choose 5 numbers between 3 and 10.

The first number is on a scale between Psychic and Physique (your P/P number). A high number makes you better at physical things, a low number makes you better at psychic things such as magic, or reading people.

The second number is a scale between Seducing and Fighting (your S/F number). A high number makes you good at things that involve confrontation whereas a low number makes you good at persuasion (including actual flirting and seduction).

The third number is a scale between Submission and Domination (your S/D number). A high number means you are good at taking charge of situations while a low number means you are good at following instructions or pleasing others.

The fourth number is a scale between Learning and Fixing. (your L/F number) A high number means you are good at crafting or repairing items, or improvising tools and weapons. A low number means you are good at acquiring new information or skills.

The fifth number is your defensive stat, and lies between Will and Toughness. A high number means you are harder to hit or to damage with physical attacks (Physique rolls by enemy NPCs). A low number means NPCs find it harder to affect you with magical attacks.

Your hitpoints are 1d6 + Physique number.

You can choose one Unusual Skill that your character is just really good at.
You also have to have one Embarrassing Weakness, which is a thing that given your character's background, profession, role or race, is something everyone will assume they're good at but actually they just have no ability at all. (for instance, a sailor might be bad at swimming, or a bard might not be able to actually sing).

You get to choose a weapon that can be either +1 Physique (you add it to your P/P number when you roll a Physique test) or +1 Psychic (you add it to your roll when you roll a Psychic test). This Level 1 weapon causes 1d4 damage on a hit.

You can have a costume that gives you either +1 Seduction (add to your roll) or +1 Toughness (add to your number)

You can also have a tool, which gives you +1 Fixing (add to your number) or +1 Learning (add to your roll). (A Learning tool might be a magnifying glass, a dictionary, a way of keeping notes, or anything that helps retain or discover new knowledge).

The game rules allow your Numbers to move over time. They may be affected by enemy actions, magical or physical effects, or anything else within reason that the GM throws at you. If a number reaches 1 or reaches 12, bad things happen (for instance, if P/P reaches 12 it means you have lost all mental abilities! But if it reaches 1, then you no longer have the ability to move physically). You can also adjust your numbers by 1 point each when "levelling up" - although it's more levelling sideways. (You do get a boost to HP).

Offline Archon1980

• Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 148
  • Not happy or sad, just zen.
Re: New homebrew system to try out!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 09:53:15 PM »
You know I'm down for this.  I'll post my character sheet when I gets it.  @kittyumbrass
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:28:33 PM by archon1980 »
"When you can't run, you crawl, when you can't crawl, find someone to carry you." Firefly

Offline Kendallbelongstoarchon

• Archon’s bitch.
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 117
  • Bi, switch, bitch.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 04:11:57 AM »
@kittyumbrass.  Normally love, I would be all over this.  Maybe when I work through what I gotta work through.
RC slut.  Use me and abuse me.

Offline Femdomina

• Recently Deceased
  • Rep: 4
  • Goodbye Cruel World
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »
Sounds like a very interesting role play idea, I'd like to try it  :thumbs:
My life has recently become unbearable, that's why I decided to end it for good.
As a victim of a disgusting hacker, troll, and a cyber stalker, I can't take it any more.
No one helped me stop that criminal.
I hope the bastard will eventually end up in prison - where he belongs.
Sorry my friends, you won't be hearing from me again.
By the time you read this lines, I'll be gone.
Goodbye.

• Archon’s bitch.
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Bi, switch, bitch.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 05:07:47 AM »
I might be in on this

Offline bandit

• Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 8
  • n00b
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:49:47 AM »
"The Shark" Marcus Quinn (Pirate)

Physique (Low)/Psychic(High)-6-Physique  (-1 w/level up)

Seduction(High)/Fighting(Low)-8-Fighting

Secrecy/Submission(High)/Display/Dominance(Low)-6-Submission

Learning(High)/Fixing(Low)-4-Learning

Will(High)/Toughness(Low)-7  Toughness

Your hit points are 1d6 + Physique number.

Unusual Skill-Plays flute

Embarrassing Weakness-Not good at Navigation. 

Weapon-Kitana:+2 Physique (add 2 to P/P on Physique tests) +1 w/level up) This Level 1 weapon causes 1d4 damage on a hit.

Costume-Eye patch, Bandana, Linen Shirt, Leather Pants, Leather Boots:+1 Toughness 

Tool-Telescope:+1 Learning

Magic: 

Hide Person (Lvl.2)

Direction Sense (Lvl.2)

Door Charm (Lvl.2)

Magic Shield (Lvl.3)

Restore (Lvl.3)

Dispel Fire (Lvl.2)

Talent:

Field Medic (Lvl.2)

Tinker (Lvl.3)

Chainmail Shirt-worn under regular shirt: -1 Secrecy and -1 damage

I am known as "The Shark" Marcus Quinn, well, basically only known to the underground world of pirates, thieves, possibly some assassins, and the like.  I've been, or at least was, part of a crew out of Storm Cloud Islands, well known for its taverns/brothels, gambling, black market trade, and all sorts of wonderful ppl, pirates, thieves, assassins, merchants dealing in stolen and/or otherwise illegal wares and it is a long way from my current location. 

You see, most pirates are simple cretures, they attack ships, villages, travellers on the road, or anyone that presents themselves as an easy target who might have anything of value.  However, pirates are very superstitious, paranoid, and mistrusting by nature.  So, when our ship was caught in a bad storm and supplies ran low, they knew I was learning some magic, which is not looked upon very fondly by most pirates, they turned on me and decided I was unlucky for them. 

Once they lost their minds and decided I was the unlucky reason for all the bad stuff happening to us, they did something that actually rarely happens, they made me walk the plank. After all we had been through, and I even lost an eye in battle but they still turned on me.  I thought for sure I was going to meet my fate by drowning, or being eaten by a shark, however, as luck would have it, not too long after being dumped into the drink and left for dead, another boat came by and I was able to shout and get someones attention.  The rescued me and now I find myself on my way towards an unknown land, a city called Barbol. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:37:25 PM by bandit »
And nightly now beneath their shade
Are buggeries, rapes, and incests made.

Offline Femdomina

• Recently Deceased
  • Goodbye Cruel World
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 10:31:57 AM »
Character creation is very simple:

Choose 5 numbers between 3 and 10.

The first number is on a scale between Psychic and Physique (your P/P number). A high number makes you better at physical things, a low number makes you better at psychic things such as magic, or reading people.

The second number is a scale between Seducing and Fighting (your S/F number). A high number makes you good at things that involve confrontation whereas a low number makes you good at persuasion (including actual flirting and seduction).

The third number is a scale between Submission and Domination (your S/D number). A high number means you are good at taking charge of situations while a low number means you are good at following instructions or pleasing others.

The fourth number is a scale between Learning and Fixing. (your L/F number) A high number means you are good at crafting or repairing items, or improvising tools and weapons. A low number means you are good at acquiring new information or skills.

The fifth number is your defensive stat, and lies between Will and Toughness. A high number means you are harder to hit or to damage with physical attacks (Physique rolls by enemy NPCs). A low number means NPCs find it harder to affect you with magical attacks.

Your hitpoints are 1d6 + Physique number.

You can choose one Unusual Skill that your character is just really good at.
You also have to have one Embarrassing Weakness, which is a thing that given your character's background, profession, role or race, is something everyone will assume they're good at but actually they just have no ability at all. (for instance, a sailor might be bad at swimming, or a bard might not be able to actually sing).

You get to choose a weapon that can be either +1 Physique (you add it to your P/P number when you roll a Physique test) or +1 Psychic (you add it to your roll when you roll a Psychic test). This Level 1 weapon causes 1d4 damage on a hit.

You can have a costume that gives you either +1 Seduction (add to your roll) or +1 Toughness (add to your number)

You can also have a tool, which gives you +1 Fixing (add to your number) or +1 Learning (add to your roll). (A Learning tool might be a magnifying glass, a dictionary, a way of keeping notes, or anything that helps retain or discover new knowledge).

Can you give an example of a custom made character?
You know, like this:
John Smith
Strength: 4/5
Speed: 3/5
Intelligence: 2/5
Etc - But with your number system and Unusual Skill / Embarrassing Weakness  :naughty:
My life has recently become unbearable, that's why I decided to end it for good.
As a victim of a disgusting hacker, troll, and a cyber stalker, I can't take it any more.
Goodbye.

Online kittyumbrass

• Winning Author
  • Inner Wanktum
    • Ms Umbrass Denies...
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
@Femdomina -

Can you give an example of a custom made character?
You know, like this:
John Smith
Strength: 4/5
Speed: 3/5
Intelligence: 2/5
Etc - But with your number system and Unusual Skill / Embarrassing Weakness  :naughty:

Here's a generic Bard character as an example, with the reasoning behind the numbers chosen:

Luti the Bard.

She trained as apprentice to a performer on the road but now is off to explore the world for herself. She's much more magical than physical, and very much not a fighter either, getting by on her natural charm. While she prefers to please, she has to be able to put her foot down sometimes as well. As a Bard, her profession is all about Learning things. A life growing up on the road as made her quite used to hardship and physical difficulties/injuries.

P/P 4 (she fights using magical effects)
S/F 3 (she prefers loving tofighting - using words rather than confrontation)
S/D 7 (she's evenly balanced between following instructions and imposing on others, but slightly better at getting her way than doing as she's told)
L/F 4 (she's alert to new information but is pretty rubbish when it comes to figuring out how things work or how to repair them)
W/T 7 (she's evenly balanced between enduring pain and resisting magic, but slightly better against physical attacks)

HP: 7 (P/P 4 + 1d6 - she rolled a 3)

Her Unusual Skill is that she's just amazing at tracking people - she can follow them in a crowd or in the wilds.

But she has an Embarrassing Weakness: she is utterly unable to hold a note, so she can't actually sing. Her barding is all spoken-word stories or instrumental tunes.

Her Weapon is her magical lute that enables Ranged Psychic attacks (+1).
Her Tool is her notebook where she writes down everything she hears, giving her a +1 to her Learning.

Offline Femdomina

• Recently Deceased
  • Goodbye Cruel World
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 05:16:38 PM »
Luti the Bard.

She trained as apprentice to a performer on the road but now is off to explore the world for herself. She's much more magical than physical, and very much not a fighter either, getting by on her natural charm. While she prefers to please, she has to be able to put her foot down sometimes as well. As a Bard, her profession is all about Learning things. A life growing up on the road as made her quite used to hardship and physical difficulties/injuries.

P/P 4 (she fights using magical effects)
S/F 3 (she prefers loving tofighting - using words rather than confrontation)
S/D 7 (she's evenly balanced between following instructions and imposing on others, but slightly better at getting her way than doing as she's told)
L/F 4 (she's alert to new information but is pretty rubbish when it comes to figuring out how things work or how to repair them)
W/T 7 (she's evenly balanced between enduring pain and resisting magic, but slightly better against physical attacks)

HP: 7 (P/P 4 + 1d6 - she rolled a 3)

Her Unusual Skill is that she's just amazing at tracking people - she can follow them in a crowd or in the wilds.

But she has an Embarrassing Weakness: she is utterly unable to hold a note, so she can't actually sing. Her barding is all spoken-word stories or instrumental tunes.

Her Weapon is her magical lute that enables Ranged Psychic attacks (+1).
Her Tool is her notebook where she writes down everything she hears, giving her a +1 to her Learning.

Great, now I get it, thanks  :thumbs:
I thought that Luti's Embarrassing Weakness is supposed to be some flaw in her fighting skills, personality, physical endurance, or magical abilities, but "unable to hold a note" is not a big problem I guess, she can't lose because of that weakness  :laugh2:
Ok, I'll think of a character suitable for me, now I know the parameters  ;)
Goodbye.

Online kittyumbrass

• Winning Author
  • Inner Wanktum
    • Ms Umbrass Denies...
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 08:52:12 PM »
Great, now I get it, thanks  :thumbs:
I thought that Luti's Embarrassing Weakness is supposed to be some flaw in her fighting skills, personality, physical endurance, or magical abilities, but "unable to hold a note" is not a big problem I guess, she can't lose because of that weakness  :laugh2:

Yes. She can't "lose" because of it. Right up until the GM says "you have to sing the national anthem to prove you're not a spy, or the guards will arrest you and haul you off to the dungeons!" At which point suddenly it becomes an issue :evillaugh:

(It's more likely that I will try to leverage the weaknesses to create less critical challenges than that, or just humorous episodes - but GMs gotta GM! )

Offline Femdomina

• Recently Deceased
  • Goodbye Cruel World
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 11:06:22 PM »
Yes. She can't "lose" because of it. Right up until the GM says "you have to sing the national anthem to prove you're not a spy, or the guards will arrest you and haul you off to the dungeons!" At which point suddenly it becomes an issue :evillaugh: (It's more likely that I will try to leverage the weaknesses to create less critical challenges than that, or just humorous episodes - but GMs gotta GM! )
I see, GM as in Grand Master? Okay, I'll think of some interesting weakness for my character  :angel:
Goodbye.

Offline Femdomina

• Recently Deceased
  • Goodbye Cruel World
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 02:34:09 PM »
Finally, here is my character:

Maya the Ninja girl

She trained in an ancient Ninja temple on a secret mountain location.
Maya excels in physical skills, but she's not so good at using magic.
She prefers confrontation, but can use seducing if necessary.
Dominating others is her thing, she is not very likely to follow instructions.
She is balancing between learning and fixing things, but she's a bit better at acquiring new skills and information.
Maya is very tough in physical combat, though, her defense against magic is kind of mediocre.

P/P 8
S/F 7
S/D 9
L/F 5
W/T 7
HP: 10 (P/P 8 + 1d6 - she rolled a 2)

Her Unusual Skill is Immunity to mind spells, she can't be manipulated by hypnotic skills (Thanks to her highly advanced training in mystical Ninja meditation).  :cool:

Her Embarrassing Weakness: Losing focus whenever she sees a handsome man with big bulge in his pants  ;)
(Even though she is a Ninja, with an excellent concentration).

Her Weapon is Yin/Yang energy Kusarigama, wielding this weapon enables her to use Medium-Ranged Psychic attacks (+1).

Her Tool is Craftsman's handbook, it gives +1 to her Fixing.

Her Costume is:
Black Velvet Hair Ribbon,
Short Brass Breastplate,
Leather Shorts,
Shin Socks,
Short Leather Boots.
 +1 Seduction  :naughty:
Goodbye.

• Archon’s bitch.
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Bi, switch, bitch.
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 01:00:14 AM »
P/P – 3

S/F – 3

S/D – 3

L/F – 3

W/D – 3

Hit points 9 (rolled a 6)

Tatiana was raised on a ship at sea and was a member of the crew from the moment she was born.  From a young age, she was adept at tying knots.  In her late teens it was apparent she was more interested in other pursuits.  She began to show magical talent, sometimes seeing things a moment before it happened, or could levitate small items, or manipulate flames and lights,  but she struggled to control it and it took many years trying to master it.  She never learned how to swim.  She took some meager earnings and when they docked for supplies, bought a sword.

Online kittyumbrass

• Winning Author
  • Inner Wanktum
    • Ms Umbrass Denies...
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 09:03:16 PM »
@archon1980 - Keller, Gentleman Thief

@bandit - "The Shark" Marcus Quinn, Pirate

@Femdomina - Maya, Ninja girl

@Kendallbelongstoarchon - Tatiana, Sea Nomad Enchantress