In Chat #1:
In Old Chat #2:

Tags (Stories Only Please!):

Author Topic: Story Contest: Announcements & General Discussion  (Read 8931 times)

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Rep: 252
  • Cloaking Device Activated
Story Contest: Announcements & General Discussion
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
This is the place for Official Announcements and your member discussion regarding the RapeCage Story Contest.

We are very excited to kick this off. All RapeCage members are eligible to participate in the contest by entering a story and voting for a winner.

Contest winners get to wear a shiny new badge as they join an elite membergroup:
Winning Authors

The contest breaks down this way:
  • There will be 6 contests a year as each contest cycle takes two months to complete.
  • A theme will be announced at the start of each contest cycle and there will be a word count limit (see the appropriate Entries thread in this forum).
  • Members will then have the rest of that month to post their story and declare it entered in the contest (see the appropriate Entries thread in this forum).
  • After the Entries month has elapsed, a special Poll will open with all entries being given a vote option in the poll (see the appropriate Poll thread in this forum).
  • Members will then have the rest of that month to cast their vote for the story which best met the theme and was most pleasing (see the appropriate Poll thread in this forum).
  • After the Poll closes a winner will be declared and celebrated. A new contest cycle will also open at that time.
The Story Contest forum will have several active threads at any given time. Some will be in constant use or needed for reference and will be stickied. Current Entries threads and Poll threads will be stickied until they expire. Upon expiration they will be locked and unstickied.

Permanently stickied topics include: this Discussion thread, Story Contest: Rules and the Winner’s Circle and Congratulatory Posts thread.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:17:25 PM by Addie »
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
Re: Story Contest: Announcements & General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:07:06 PM »
For the March/April 2015 Story Contest cycle the criteria are:
     1)   A Word Count Limit of 3,500 words or less
     2)   A theme of Abduction/Underworld/Betrayal

Regarding the criteria…

RC member, EssenceofRed, chose the 3 tags for the theme. Much thanks to her for giving us something wicked to occupy our devilish hands.

3,500 words is not a hard limit, but if you exceed it by too much you’ll be asked to edit and resubmit. Keep an eye on your word count. For most authors it will equal between 7 and 9 pages of single spaced text in their word processing application.

What do you think of the Theme?
What do you think of the Word Count Limit?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:05:53 PM by Red Right Hand »
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline kittyumbrass

• Rep: 416
    • Ms Umbrass Denies...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »
I'm puzzled: is the theme intended to mean "use all these", or "any one of these"?

That is to say, is it:

"Abduction AND Underworld AND Betrayal"

or

"Abduction OR Underworld OR Betrayal"?

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:33:25 PM »
All 3 tags must be used. Every contest cycle we will have a new theme consisting of 3 tags chosen by a RapeCage member...

For the March/April contest the theme is Abduction & Underworld & Betrayal which, IMHO makes a nice marinade for your dirty imaginings.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline FrodoKreuger

• Morally Ambiguous Mastermind
  • Rep: 161
  • Being the best me I can because she deserves it
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
Silly question, but do you have to use them as words or just as themes? Does your story have to literally have the words "underworld" "betrayal" and "abduction" or just use them thematically?

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:29:38 AM »
It's a guideline, a theme. Literal inclusion of the tag words in the body is not mandatory.

Conversely, just implanting the tag is not enough to qualify. If a character simply says the word "abduction" somewhere in the dialog, but no actual abduction takes place within the action of the story; that would be a fail.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 04:11:02 AM »
Dunno if I'll enter this one as I'll be with Ashley. Sometimes we like to just sit quiet together and do our own thing in peach others company though, so maybe.

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 07:25:13 AM »
Peach Other? I'm not sure... I'm a bit fuzzy on that one, old fruit!

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »
Are you allowed to vote for your own entries (seriously, if I do enter, it will probably be my only vote given the quality of some writers) or is that just tacky?

Offline Ingenue

• Puppygiwl MISTWESS!!1
  • Rep: 1026
  • forcing pettings out of you all
    • Ingy's Tumblr full of petgirls, jesters and poniponiponi
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
Quote from: Pirates of the Caribbean 3
"There has not been a king since the First Court. And that's not likely to change."
"Not likely."
"Why not?"
"See, the Pirate King is elected by popular vote."
"And each pirate only ever votes for hisself."
―Chevalle, Teague, Elizabeth Swann, Joshamee Gibbs and Hector Barbossa

I think technically speaking we can't stop you if we use the normal board poll feature, but it would be against the spirit of the thing and possibly result in Surrender2U walking the plank in all the excitement.
You girls are post-ethical. ~AdamWantsYou
I absolutely and categorically deny that I was there to Dom her, or that we got naked ~kittyumbrass
Last night, when I took off my bra, I shouted "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" and B pissed himself. ~pinkwarkitten14

Limits

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »
Quote from: Pirates of the Caribbean 3
"There has not been a king since the First Court. And that's not likely to change."
"Not likely."
"Why not?"
"See, the Pirate King is elected by popular vote."
"And each pirate only ever votes for hisself."
―Chevalle, Teague, Elizabeth Swann, Joshamee Gibbs and Hector Barbossa

I think technically speaking we can't stop you if we use the normal board poll feature, but it would be against the spirit of the thing and possibly result in Surrender2U walking the plank in all the excitement.

Fair comment, that was kinda the side I was leaning towards. Then I was reminded of small elections where someone has no even polled a single vote (as they themselves voted for someone else)...

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
The rules do not prohibit an author from voting for their own entry.

Vote as your conscience dictates.

I had thought of making the votes public to shame people away from voting for themselves, but have decided votes will be anonymous. It's more fair to the pure readers not to have their vote scrutinized and more encouraging towards having people want to participate.

I've been in a long running adjudicated contest with a guest judge each cycle. I've lost some where I was convinced I was the strongest entry by far and won some when I was sure another was the clear standout. In the end it is out of our hands as authors anyway. Frodo... If you did vote for yourself and won by one vote, how would you feel about yourself? That is rhetorical, by the way, and need not be answered. On the flip side, would you not feel worse only getting one vote and knowing it was yours as opposed to getting no votes?

You only get the one vote. Cast it anonymously as you most desire. At a very rough guess we will garner perhaps 30 votes this cycle. If you win by only one with 1/30th of the vote then you must have deserved it anyway...
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »
So who were you on KO? F4F?

Funnily enough, the fact that you are keeping voted private means I feel better not voting for myself (if I ever enter) since I don't look like "that idiot who didn't even think his own story was worth a vote".
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:06:08 PM by FrodoKreuger »

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 01:11:25 PM »
So who were you on KO? F4F?

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours... Via PM?

Funnily enough, the fact that you are keeping voted private means I feel better not voting for myself (if I ever enter) since I don't look like "that idiot who didn't even think his own story was worth a vote".

This made me laugh. Thanks.

I will confess to not having read any of your writing here, yet... But by reputation I believe you'll acquit yourself honorably and have some adherents who love the way you push their buttons.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:52:15 PM by Red Right Hand »
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
Oh, I make no secret of mine. I was, until about a year and a half back, BadForm... Only entered the KO writing contest once. It was a Christmas story with a difference. Blood sacrifice, gynophagia, even some beastie (banned here) and written that way partly because I knew Gen (one of few women who went as extreme as I can) was the guest judge.

Offsite Contacts Email Admins (Offsite) Admins Addie RayPistonprowl Global Moderators Ingenue Red Right Hand Moderators Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage Smirkin