In Chat #1:
In Old Chat #2:

Description:

Tags:

Author Topic: Story Contest: Announcements & General Discussion  (Read 13858 times)

Offline FrodoKreuger

• Morally Ambiguous Mastermind
  • Rep: 189
  • Being the best me I can because she deserves it
Re: Story Contest: Announcements & General Discussion
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2015, 08:47:55 PM »
RRH - one thing that came up in shoutbox today was that I actually enjoy doing the Karaoke If You Dare rewrites more than writing stories. Would it be permissible for me to enter something like that, appropriately themed, in the contest in future or not?

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Rep: 287
  • Cloaking Device Activated
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2015, 11:20:07 PM »
Absolutely. Parody being a valid form of written expression, it would naturally be acceptable.

Just remember, audio files are prohibited. I've also just made a new addendum prohibiting use of the Mention System. Member screen names are acceptable just not the @MemberName hyperlink embeds.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2015, 11:23:50 PM »
For clarity, I'll reprint updated Rules in this post as well.

Here are the rules for qualified story submissions:

• An entry must not violate board rules (no pedophilia or bestiality). See the Board Rules for complete details.
  • Each contest consists of two stages: one month's time in which to post entries, one month's time for members to read the entries and vote for a winner by poll.
  • An entry must post by the stated deadline. Stories should be posted to the most appropriate story sub-forum (Rape Fantasy Stories or BDSM Stories) and entrance declared in the correct Contest Entries Thread (by month).
  • Voting polls will close at the end of the appropriate month and no further votes will be accepted – one vote per member which will not be alterable.
  • The entry with the most votes by poll will be declared winner.
  • In the event of a tie, winner will be declared after deliberation by site Administrators and Moderators. Such rulings will be final and without appeal. Adjudication may take an unspecified amount of time, but one week is recommended.
  • Each bi-monthly contest will have a word count limit. An entry may total fewer words without penalty. An entry that exceeds the word count limit by a significant percentage will be disqualified.
  • Audio, pictures and video are not acceptable in entries. Such inclusion will result in disqualification.
  • Hotlinking to other materials is not acceptable. Such inclusion will result in disqualification.
  • Each bi-monthly contest will have a theme consisting of three (3) tags. An entry which does not include all three mandatory story elements will be disqualified.
  • Stories deemed disqualified for any of the above reasons may be edited and resubmitted, if time allows, before the submission deadline.
  • Selection of the three tags (the theme) will be made by a member selected through arcane and unknowable means. Active membership will most certainly be a quality considered in such selection.
  • All entries must be submitted by the author. Do not submit works that are not your own as they will be disqualified.

Rules Addendum: Edits

• Edits are allowed for already submitted stories up until the end of the submission deadline. Please advise in the current submissions thread that you have edited your story so it can remain certified - or advice can be given that corrections are required.
  • In the case of last minute entry before the deadline, any submission needing edit to meet the criteria (word count or theme element inclusion) will be granted a suitable time extension for editing to conform to criteria. 48 hours from time of failed certification is the recommended additional allotment.
  • NO Editing is allowed during the voting phase of the contest. Any story found to have been edited during this time will be disqualified without appeal. Note that due to the nature of the poll, no member who votes for a subsequently disqualified entry will be allowed their vote back. Blame the author, not the system in such a case.
  • After the end of the voting phase, authors may edit their work whenever and however they see fit.
  • Should a work require editing the fact will be posted in the submission thread for that period and also a PM will be sent to the author informing him/her of the changes needed to gain certification.

Rules Addendum: Mentions and Member Names

• Use of the board's Mention System is prohibited. This is a Bulletin Board Code embed using the @MemberName function which creates a hyperlink to the member profile in the post and sends that member a notification of their inclusion. Any entry containing Mentions will not be certified until the Mentions are edited out.
  • In the case of last minute entry before the deadline, any submission needing edit to remove Mentions will be granted a suitable time extension for editing to conform to criteria. 48 hours from time of failed certification is the recommended additional allotment.
  • Member screen names may be included as many times as an author sees fit without penalty.
  • Should a work require editing the fact will be posted in the submission thread for that period and also a PM will be sent to the author informing him/her of the changes needed to gain certification.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2015, 01:07:23 AM »
Hmmm... So, if I understand correctly, there is nothing to stop me posting the audio in Karaoke If You Dare and hotlinking from that to a text only version in the stories sections so long as I do not hotlink back to the Karaoke If You Dare audio post from the text version.  Or, indeed, placing a link in my sig file to the karaoke if you dare and text versions seems to meet these rules. Is this right?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:08:55 AM by FrodoKreuger »

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2015, 01:37:59 AM »
[member=11]FrodoKreuger[/member]  That is correct, technically. There is nothing explicitly preventing any of the scenarios you've outlined.

However. Hotlinking in your sig to KIYD would show in the entry post and may be considered inclusion of the audio file since we can't embed audio here and it is always a clickable attachment in any event. Two clicks vs one. (I'd probably refer that to our Admins, who would probably kick it back to me which would make me peeved :p)

Hotlinking to your entry from other areas of the board might just start a hyperlinking war among entrants. That might not go down so well...

I think the main criteria is that we want readers, not viewers or listeners. The words should be what gets judged, not supplemental formats.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2015, 02:50:58 AM »
Fair enough. Thanks for the ruling. :)

Offline Ingenue

• Pupstart
  • Rep: 1269
  • Not seeking new RPs just now.
    • Ingy's currently idle Tumblr feat. petgirls, jesters, ponies
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2015, 08:27:09 AM »
I suggest that if there was any question, we could just add an addendum to the entry post saying "as audio files are not part of the contest, please judge on this post alone" or something.
she thought really hard about biting them so hard they would almost feel it, and they ran away because scawypet is scawy. ~kittyumbrass
You savage ~the savage
When Ingy stares at me with large moist eyes I just raep her. ~RayPistonprowl
I just squeed so hard I farted ~RayPistonprowl

Likes and limits on my profile!

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
Nah, I think given what RRH has said, and that some of my best compliments have come from the ad-libbing which is part of the performance rather than basic text, this isn't the place for the KIYD stuff. That's fine. I might step back a bit from competition entries maybe but I am still intrigued by the challenge of doing KIYD stuff to the theme. Just means I can't enter it and that's no problem at all. :)

Offline WildDesire

• Rep: 90
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2015, 04:47:41 AM »
Oh, I make no secret of mine. I was, until about a year and a half back, BadForm... Only entered the KO writing contest once. It was a Christmas story with a difference. Blood sacrifice, gynophagia, even some beastie (banned here) and written that way partly because I knew Gen (one of few women who went as extreme as I can) was the guest judge.

Ah... now your very bizarre selection of themes for the Nov-Dec competition makes sense...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:52:17 AM by WildDesire »

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2016, 10:52:33 PM »
It's been awhile since we had any discussion in here... Let's start some more. ;)

How do the interested parties (writers, readers, people with opinions) feel about "tagging" contest entries so they can be more easily recognized in the story forums?

I looked at adding color to the titles. Can't do it. I liked that best for the subtlety, but really it was a long shot. Inserting small icons as an image is out as well. A pity, since either would have been the best impact to visualize immediately.

That leaves us with words...

Examples:
  • This Story Somebody Wrote [Mar/Apr '15 Entry]
  • Another Story From Someone [Mar/Apr '15 Winner]

It could be edited in and maintained quite easily.

Note that there is a finite limit of 80 characters in a title field. The longer tag is 21 characters including the lead in space and the brackets. That cuts out 1/4 of the available space for a title. I'm not sure how many are titling at 60 characters and above. I'll hazard a guess almost none of the current titles on the board go that length.

Do we like that? Or does it mar the aesthetic too much?

Advantages would be to get more visibility for what has been a contest story in past or is a present choice. Disadvantages are (arguably) mutilating titles and detracting attention from other stories.

Questions? Comments? Opinions?
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline EssenceofRed

• AKA: babyfuck
  • Rep: 823
  • Adorawhore
    • Essence of Red Tumblr Page
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
Could the tag be simple, such as "Contest Entry" or "Contest Winner" (or something similar) and every contest entry can have the same tag? That way if I were a guest who doesn't know much about it, rather than getting confused or overwhelmed by different months and years - or not knowing there are different months and years to choose from, it's all under one header/tag. Easy peasy. Like one umbrella instead of a bunch of different rain coats and hats. When they click on the story, they can see the date when it was written. Plus there are places in the Story Contest category where a person can look up specific stories/themes/months: the master list, locked contest entry threads for specific months, etc. Food for thought, anyway. :)
The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2016, 09:53:16 PM »
I've taken the only feedback I've received and run with it.

All stories thus far updated to include the suffix of [Contest Entry] or [Contest Winner]...

If anyone has any issues with this inclusion I'll be happy to discuss them.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline RayPistonprowl

• Testosterone ridden penis wielder
  • Rep: 828
  • Cockwagging hornbucket
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2016, 07:36:23 PM »
All stories thus far updated to include the suffix of [Contest Entry] or [Contest Winner]...

This was brill and quite helpful.

I've been thinking, would a good reward for having won a Story Contest be to have winners' stories stickied in their respective categories? That would keep them on the first page. Might be a good incentive since it seems people are using first page ranking to determine what to read here.

I would love to see Tags used more to help people find precisely what they're looking for. [member=1]Addie[/member] will have to get round to getting tags to display under Stories, but in the meantime I've expanded the Tags cloud so that there the top 150 for people to choose from instead of the top 50. It makes it easier for people to see what others have tagged their stories as so they can tag similarly.

I think a tuba or a french horn to the ass would feel A-maaaaazing!! -darkfantasygirl
If I ever have a punk band with just two members, I'm calling it "Anal Pear". -kittyumbrass
Nature abhors a vacuum, so if you present us with a hole we're going to try to fill it. For nature's sake. -SoftGameHunter
"Piers Morgan's being a cunt about something agai- Ah, for fuck sake, Piers Morgan's being a Crunchy Nut Corn Flake about something again" -the_silkman
I will reach down your throat through your stomach into your urogenital tract and pull your DICK INSIDE OUT. -zero

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2016, 08:24:35 PM »
[member=5]RayPistonprowl[/member]  Thanks for liking the title suffixes... I did just sort of go ahead on my own and put those in.  :uhoh:

And thanks for expanding the Tags. IMHO that will help a lot.

I've been thinking, would a good reward for having won a Story Contest be to have winners' stories stickied in their respective categories? That would keep them on the first page. Might be a good incentive since it seems people are using first page ranking to determine what to read here.

I like it, but so far we have 7 winners all in Rape Fantasy Stories and that trend is likely to continue. That gets to be a lot of sticky threads building up.

How about the current champ stays stickied for it's reign after every vote closes? Each winner would be sticky for 2 months...
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline pinkwarkitten14

• cuddleslut supreme
  • Rep: 288
  • Sunshine Sparklecunt
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »
That gets to be a lot of sticky threads building up.

Heh, see what you did there... Sticky threads
  :naughty:  :fap:
The ebil kitteh formerly known as Sunshine Sparklecunt

Pinkie, I may not break you, but I'll have fun cracking you, and then filling in the cracks with my man spackle. :cum: 
~RayPistonprowl

My Bibliography

Offsite Contact

Email Us Off-Site

Admins

Addie RayPistonprowl

Global Admins

Ingenue Red Right Hand

Moderators

Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage Smirkin darkfantasygirl