In Chat #1:
In Old Chat #2:

Tags (Stories Only Please!):

Author Topic: Story Contest: Announcements & General Discussion  (Read 11377 times)

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Rep: 261
  • Cloaking Device Activated
Re: Story Contest: Announcements & General Discussion
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2015, 03:31:55 PM »
Some clarification about editing stories after they are submitted:

• Edits are allowed for already submitted stories up until the end of the submission deadline. Please advise in the current submissions thread that you have edited your story so it can remain certified - or advice can be given that corrections are required.
  • In the case of last minute entry before the deadline, any submission needing edit to meet the criteria (word count or theme element inclusion) will be granted a suitable time extension for editing to conform to criteria. 48 hours from time of failed certification is the recommended additional allotment.
  • NO Editing is allowed during the voting phase of the contest. Any story found to have been edited during this time will be disqualified without appeal. Note that due to the nature of the poll, no member who votes for a subsequently disqualified entry will be allowed their vote back. Blame the author, not the system in such a case.
  • After the end of the voting phase, authors may edit their work whenever and however they see fit.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline LiskaHunter

• Rep: 88
  • Mandalore the Violator
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2015, 06:32:14 PM »
Back from my TDY a few days too late to enter this month's contest, alas.  I may still finish the story I had started and post it anyway.  That way, people will know what they weren't going to vote for anyway...ha!

But seriously, the contest is a great way to get community involvement, and I want to support it as best as I can.  I'll try to finish my (non-)entry and post in the story section.  Definitely an interesting set of requirements this time, and I struggled to come up with something "impersonal", since most of my stories are so very intimate, and therefore personal.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2015, 12:47:25 AM »
This just in:

FYI, I've enabled guests to vote. So they don't even need to register in order to have a say!  :thumbs:
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
The theme is being decided by a lovely member with a wicked imagination...

For round three, I'll increase the Word Count limit to 4,500 words. We had 3 of 6 entries in round two go over 4,000 words. Once again I found myself squeezing to get under the count. If you write 450 words a session (not that great a target, IMHO) you still are only writing 10 sessions in a 30 day window.

Unless anyone can give me a valid reason not to increase the Limit?
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »
The July/August 2015 Contest Cycle is Now Open

For the July/August 2015 Story Contest cycle the criteria are:
     1)   A Word Count Limit of 4,500 words or less
     2)   A theme of Vote/Arrest/Knowledge - all 3 elements must be used

kittyumbrass chose the theme. Join me in thanking her for the valuable contribution to the cause.

4,500 words is not a hard limit, but if you exceed it by too much you’ll be asked to edit and resubmit. Keep an eye on your word count. For most authors it will equal between 10 and 11 pages of single spaced text in their word processing application. Once more I have not gotten much feedback on the word count limit so I set the level at what I thought would be best.

What do you think of the Theme?
What do you think of the Word Count Limit?
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
I announced this a bit early as I'll probably be at the gym when the actual time arrives.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline FrodoKreuger

• Morally Ambiguous Mastermind
  • Rep: 178
  • Being the best me I can because she deserves it
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »
I love this theme and am over 1200 words in already! I admit it took me a moment to not go down the obvious route of election fraud, but I got there. Now I admit, I'm playing with humour this time so I expect there'll be lots of rolling eyes and groaning when I finally post it!

Offline kittyumbrass

• Rep: 513
    • Ms Umbrass Denies...
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2015, 12:46:23 PM »
Well, I hope at least one person does the "electoral fraud" storyline, but I'll cross that off my list of possible ideas. Still got two or three more, though!

Can't wait to see what you've got, Frodo XD

Offline EssenceofRed

• AKA: babyfuck
  • Rep: 767
  • Adorawhore
    • Essence of Red Tumblr Page
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »
Well, now I'm not going to do electoral fraud! Lol  ;)
The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2015, 02:32:49 PM »
So... so far, 3/3 of us looked at the subject and thought of electoral fraud. Now yes, I hope someone goes down that route, but I suspected that would be the case. One or two electoral fraud stories would be good, I just feared everyone would jump on that.

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2015, 02:46:16 PM »
Electoral fraud never entered my mind. I've something different planned that hopefully does not duplicate someone else. I was a bit astonished that only HP and I used acting for Improvisation last round.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline FrodoKreuger

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »
Must admit, since I have missed acting improv since I was in a club in 2012-2013 I'm surprised it didn't occur to me too...

Offline EssenceofRed

• AKA: babyfuck
  • Rep: 767
  • Adorawhore
    • Essence of Red Tumblr Page
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2015, 11:19:30 AM »
UPDATE - I'm up to 3000 words! I might make it after all. Maybe. I'm about to leave for the day and then have a ton of work to do tonight... and all week. I'm super close, about 1000 more words to go, give or take, and I even have the rest of the outline finished, but I'm just not 100% sure I'll complete the story in time.... but I want to, so I probably will. I'm just bummed I don't have time to finish it right now. I'm on a roll!

*Argh*
The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
^^^ You go, girl.

OK, my laptop crashed and burned. I did recover all, but it took more time I really don't have ATM.

I did have an epiphany while snorkeling in the pool. I have a mask and fins and snorkel. I have 5 sticks that have numbers on them and a weight on one end. It's a kids toy really. But I throw them around the pool and retrieve them in order of lowest to highest. It's very zen for me. Inactive activity. Answers sometimes pop in my head as I exercise like this on semi-autopilot.

My logic chain is more or less intact. Not much time left, but I'm starting tonight. For once I may not be so long-bloody-winded.  :rofl:
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Ingenue

• Tomato Pope Pup
  • Rep: 1150
  • forcing pettings out of you all
    • Ingy's currently idle Tumblr feat. petgirls, jesters, ponies
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Science fiction! :yay: If you cared to post it after the deadline, HP, I daresay I'd do you the stunning favor of casting an eye over it. (No kidding, I love sci fi. And mean rapings. And HP stories. Sounds awesome.)

Some month I'll have my head in a place where I can contribute to this contest and not have it turn out five pages full of "I am a fish" or a long screed of barely-legible self hatred or a story where little cute fluffy pets roam free and nothing bad happens. :)
Sometimes, it's nice to hear your pixel people scream. ~Trill
I like my unicorns pink. and fluffy. and dancing, in the vicinity of meteorological optical effects ~kittyumbrass
Turns out that France understands neither peanut butter nor tacos ~IrishGirl

Likes and limits on my profile!

Offsite Contacts Email Admins (Offsite) Admins Addie RayPistonprowl Global Moderators Ingenue Red Right Hand Moderators Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage Smirkin darkfantasygirl