In Chat Now:

Author Topic: I Want To Pick The Theme!  (Read 23398 times)

Offline death2uall

• Writer
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 122
  • Rider of the Pale Horse
Re: I Want To Pick The Theme!
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2016, 01:35:08 AM »
[member=1201]cumgetme[/member] I never said anybody HAD to post 40,000 words at a go. I just said that if their words were worth reading, I'd be willing to read them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:40:30 AM by death2uall »
"I want to breed with you because our children would have the intelligence of Stephen Hawking, the stamina of young werewolves, the conscience of komodo dragons, and the forgiving, pacific nature of Genghis Khan". -death2uall, to Ingenue

"For a people who invented absinthe and blowjobs, sometimes the French can be a drag."  --Richard Kadrey, Aloha from Hell

"She is starting to damage my calm!"  -- Jayne, Serenity

Offline cumgetme

• *a gracious and acquiescent cunt*
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2016, 01:38:38 AM »
[member=64]death2uall[/member]

I got what you meant. Just flash backed to an email from my editor this week. I'm due 20,000 more words by the end of the month for my novel.  :whistle:
"If you can cause fear in me by just a whisper in my ear with the most simplest of words... You might be able to break me..."

"Bukkake is Hekate's Greek sister. Didn't you know that?"

"Passive Aggressiveness is a pussy's way of not saying what's really on their mind."

Offline death2uall

• Writer
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2016, 01:47:38 AM »
[member=1201]cumgetme[/member]  Personally, I would murder loved ones for a request for 20,000 more words. My suggestion? Either thank your publisher sincerely and provide those extra 20,000 words, which will provide you with more sales, or decide to publish yourself.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:49:11 AM by death2uall »
"I want to breed with you because our children would have the intelligence of Stephen Hawking, the stamina of young werewolves, the conscience of komodo dragons, and the forgiving, pacific nature of Genghis Khan". -death2uall, to Ingenue

"For a people who invented absinthe and blowjobs, sometimes the French can be a drag."  --Richard Kadrey, Aloha from Hell

Offline cumgetme

• *a gracious and acquiescent cunt*
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2016, 01:49:52 AM »
[member=64]death2uall[/member]

Ohhh I'll provide them. No problem. I always thank my editor for keeping me in line. RE: Reminding me of my impending deadlines
"If you can cause fear in me by just a whisper in my ear with the most simplest of words... You might be able to break me..."

"Bukkake is Hekate's Greek sister. Didn't you know that?"

"Passive Aggressiveness is a pussy's way of not saying what's really on their mind."

Offline death2uall

• Writer
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2016, 02:02:47 AM »
I also fucking hate the "random" choice of who gets to pick the theme. I've already seen the random choice of people who chose to sign up after me and, frankly, I don't understand why this should be. People should be chosen in the order in which they volunteered. I understand people who've failed to respond being placed at the back of the line, but frankly I've already seen people who signed up after me chosen first, and frankly it makes me wonder why I fucking bothered.

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Global Moderator
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 303
  • Cloaking Device Activated
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
As a potential contestant, I will always object to word-count limits....

It's actually supposed to add another element of skill to the thing. I find it rewarding and challenging to have a word count limit. Based on reactions from others, I feel I am not alone in this. I think it is enjoyable for many of the participants.

Rather than viewing it as a limit of some sort or as belittling, I believe most who participate find it empowering and flattering to be given the credit that they can exercise some control over how they produce a story.

For every day writing, nope, I wouldn't impose a limit on myself, nor should anyone. However, in context of a contest it also attempts to level the playing field. Few would argue that it is as easy to immerse a reader, build a cohesive milieu and add exacting detail in 1,000 words as it is in 10,000. Without a word count limit it is likely that those who write short will do so and those who write long will do their thing. Too much disparity in length builds an imbalance. The lengthier tales (if executed at the same level of craft) inherently stand a better chance of gripping the reader and particularly when it comes to detailed erotica. A rape scene of brief content vs a prolonged series of scenes is not the same animal and harder to judge side by side with equal weight.

I write for my own pleasure, and I will not have my pleasure constrained by somebody else's decision.

Fortunately not every story posted to the board is obligated to be entered into the contest. No one is being constrained by any other. Post what you want when you want.

I also fucking hate the "random" choice of who gets to pick the theme...

That is meant to be a bit of fun that encourages participation.

It also saves me from trying to randomly drum up a volunteer only to be repeatedly met with silence. At least I'm dipping into a well of willing participants.

The great length the list has grown to has made it a bit unwieldy. Hence the idea that those chosen will be exempted for longer amounts of time in order to help get other candidates a chance at choosing the theme.

Also left unsaid in my above post was the fact that some users on the list have never replied when called. I will be reaching out to them to make sure they are still active on the board and actively willing to participate. Those who don't reply will be culled.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline BlackKnight

• Writer
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 65
  • The other kind of Knight..
    • Black Knight's Tumbler
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2016, 02:16:50 PM »
 I'm not sure how I feel about a lower as well as an upper..

I now have two more instalments of the  series which sprang out of the 'candidate'  but both were well above 3000, and this months entry just gelled as i was starting to type out the base premise...

back to polishing those.. and  altogeather?   that series will likely land between 40 and 50,000 words    :doh:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:01:11 PM by BlackKnight »
"How did you end up here? What happened?  ...It's what we're all about.  It's our stories. "   - Richard_Greer.

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Global Moderator
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2016, 05:54:09 PM »
Contests To Date:

The March/April 2015 Story Contest:
1) Word Count Limit of 3,500 words or less
2) Theme of Abduction/Underworld/Betrayal chosen by RC Member, EssenceofRed
3) Five Entrants: EssenceofRed, kittyumbrass, Red Right Hand, LiskaHunter, Tragedy
4) Winner: Father Of The Year by EssenceofRed

The May/June 2015 Story Contest:
1) Word Count Limit of 4,200 words or less
2) Theme of Implements/Improvisation/Impersonal chosen by RC Member, Red Right Hand
3) Five Entrants: kittyumbrass, EssenceofRed, Red Right Hand, FrodoKreuger, pinkwarkitten14
4) Winner: Bella Voce by pinkwarkitten14

The July/August 2015 Story Contest:
1) Word Count Limit of 4,500 words or less
2) Theme of Vote/Arrest/Knowledge chosen by RC Member, kittyumbrass
3) Six Entrants: kittyumbrass, BlackKnight, FrodoKreuger, pinkwarkitten14, EssenceofRed, Red Right Hand
4) Winner: Circumstantial by Red Right Hand

The September/October 2015 Story Contest:
1) Word Count Limit of 3,000 words or less
2) Theme of Elsewhen/Hierarchy/Entitlement chosen by RC Member, lysyn
3) Four Entrants: kittyumbrass, Avendia, Red Right Hand, pinkwarkitten14
4) Winner: Time Healed by kittyumbrass

The November/December 2015 Story Contest:
1) Word Count Limit of 4,500 words or less
2) Theme of Foul Spirit/Family Gathering/Father Christmas chosen by RC Member, FrodoKreuger
3) Three Entrants: EssenceofRed, Eri, pinkwarkitten14
4) Winner: Walkin' In a Winter Wonder Hell by EssenceofRed

The January/February 2016 Story Contest:
1) Word Count Limit of 1,750 words or less
2) Theme of Apocalyptic/Captured/Inhuman chosen by RC Member, flash713
3) Six Entrants: kittyumbrass, LiskaHunter, Red Right Hand, BlackKnight, EssenceofRed, Eri
4) Winner: To be determined - http://www.rapecage.com/forum/index.php/topic,1568.0.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:25:02 AM by Red Right Hand »
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Global Moderator
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »
I've PMed volunteers on the list and asked them to return a confirmation to remain on the list.

I am hereby exempting volunteers and word counts for 3 cycles after they are chosen rather than 2. This is retroactive.

The max word count values 7,000 and 8,500 were added to the table. I inserted them in a randomized order.

The official published tolerance (rather than unstated as a rule floating in my head) is 5%. In other words, you will be asked to edit for compliance if you exceed the Word Count Limit by more than 5% rounded down.

Our list of volunteers to randomize from:
  • kittyumbrass - confirmed
  • EssenceofRed - confirmed
  • LiskaHunter - confirmed
  • BlackKnight - confirmed
  • death2uall - confirmed
  • Avendia - confirmed
  • Punpun - confirmed
  • melodyforever - confirmed
  • lysyn not eligible until May/June, 2016 - confirmed
  • flash713 not eligible until September/October, 2016 - confirmed
  • Tragedy - withdrawn
  • Rosary - withdrawn
  • Cannonball - forfeit
  • FrodoKreuger - forfeit
Any new volunteers will be added as the next eligible position at the bottom of the list. I will remain as the fail-safe in case the randomly selected individual does not deliver a theme. If you are chosen, then you become ineligible for the following three contest cycles.

Our list of Word Count Limit choices to be randomized:
  • 3,000 not eligible until May/June, 2016
  • 4,500 not eligible until July/August, 2016
  • 1,750 not eligible until September/October, 2016
The official tolerance is 5%. In other words, you will be asked to edit for compliance if you exceed the Word Count Limit by more than 5% rounded down. Until the Word Count is trimmed the story will not certify for entry.

Just as with the theme volunteers, the random selection of a Word Count Limit will invalidate that choice from eligibility for three successive rounds and drop it to last place on the list. When it comes back in play it will move to slot 1 and push all choices down a place...

Still accepting members to volunteer for the random drawing to determine the theme. Simply post your willingness below or send me a PM.

If you want to be removed from the list of volunteers, PM me or post below.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:20:47 AM by Red Right Hand »
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Global Moderator
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2016, 12:24:23 AM »
I've PMed volunteers on the list and asked them to return a confirmation to remain on the list. RSVP has ended.

Our list of volunteers to randomize from:
  • kittyumbrass
  • EssenceofRed
  • LiskaHunter
  • BlackKnight
  • death2uall
  • Avendia
  • Punpun
  • melodyforever
  • lysyn not eligible until May/June, 2016
  • flash713 not eligible until September/October, 2016
Any new volunteers will be added as the next eligible position at the bottom of the list. I will remain as the fail-safe in case the randomly selected individual does not deliver a theme. If you are chosen, then you become ineligible for the following three contest cycles.

Our list of Word Count Limit choices to be randomized:
  • 3,000 not eligible until May/June, 2016
  • 4,500 not eligible until July/August, 2016
  • 1,750 not eligible until September/October, 2016
The official tolerance is 5%. In other words, you will be asked to edit for compliance if you exceed the Word Count Limit by more than 5% rounded down. Until the Word Count is trimmed the story will not certify for entry.

Just as with the theme volunteers, the random selection of a Word Count Limit will invalidate that choice from eligibility for three successive rounds and drop it to last place on the list. When it comes back in play it will move to slot 1 and push all choices down a place...

Still accepting members to volunteer for the random drawing to determine the theme. Simply post your willingness below or send me a PM.

If you want to be removed from the list of volunteers, PM me or post below.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Global Moderator
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2016, 11:33:05 PM »
Random word count locked in for March/April...

PM going out to randomly selected volunteer to start dreaming up a theme.
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offline death2uall

• Writer
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2016, 01:45:48 AM »

I also fucking hate the "random" choice of who gets to pick the theme...
That is meant to be a bit of fun that encourages participation.

It also saves me from trying to randomly drum up a volunteer only to be repeatedly met with silence. At least I'm dipping into a well of willing participants.

The great length the list has grown to has made it a bit unwieldy. Hence the idea that those chosen will be exempted for longer amounts of time in order to help get other candidates a chance at choosing the theme.

Also left unsaid in my above post was the fact that some users on the list have never replied when called.

It is a "bit of fun" that "encourages participation" by ONE participant: you. If participants knew from the month before that they'd have a chance to prepare a theme, you'd have a lot more responses. At this point you're averaging one or two non-responders a month. You're ALREADY dipping into a well of willing participants. That's why we signed up for this shit. The most likely reason you're getting users on the list who have never replied is that, out of the blue and with no warning, they're met with a demand for a theme and their immediate response is "Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhh. . . . "

And kindly don't give me any crap about the "great length of the list." the length of the list of currently active participants is EIGHT PEOPLE, plus a reserve of previously-chosen posters that you seem unwilling to reveal more than one or two of. The way this should work is that the first active participant (kittyumbrass, if you've managed to keep the list in chronological order), followed by Red, Liska, etc.. gets to choose the next month's theme. Participants who've already chosen or failed to respond should go to the bottom of the INACTIVE list. Then, at the end of every month, one person at the top of the INACTIVE list should move to the bottom of the ACTIVE list. This will allow new participants to join all month, keep the older participants active, and dispense with the "random choice" nonsense that is only going to increase non-respondents and piss off people who have been waiting months for their chance to contribute.

Seriously, I can't fucking believe you decided rolling a fucking die was the way to go.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:10:10 AM by death2uall »

Offline francesco165

• Roleplayer
  • Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2016, 09:22:34 AM »
[member=64]death2uall[/member] : I wouldn't discharge a milion f-bombs on someone that is running a context on a forum, just as a past-time, for us reader's pleasure, without gaining anything from it.  :D

Nobody is forced to partecipate, after all  :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:31:59 AM by francesco165 »

Offline Avendia

• Inner Wanktum
  • Rep: 48
  • Eyes Only
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2016, 10:30:57 PM »
[member=64]death2uall[/member] I have to agree with [member=134]francesco165[/member] here. [member=708]Red Right Hand[/member]  does this because he wants to not because he has to. This is just for fun there's no money on the line and if you're going to get this worked up over not getting to pick the theme maybe you should take a step back and evaluate why you are feeling so pissed over something so trivial to your everyday life.
DarkWolfs Bitch

Offline Red Right Hand

• Fetishist
  • Global Moderator
  • Inner Wanktum
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2016, 10:57:48 PM »
Random word count locked in for March/April...

First volunteer replied. Theme locked in...
Designed and directed by
his red right hand

My Bibliography

Offsite Contact

Email Us Off-Site

Admins

Addie RayPistonprowl

Global Moderators

Ingenue Red Right Hand Smirkin

Moderators

Surrender2U EssenceofRed kittyumbrass the savage darkfantasygirl archon1980